Industry: Oil & Gas (LNG Storage Tank)
The customer is a storage tank manufacturer. Manual stick welding was used for 3G vertical welding of LNG storage tanks. For one weld, the process takes 24-30 hours, requires grinding, and causes fog, dust, and tumultuous noise.
The customer looks to improve the weld quality and better working conditions.
AWT DPS Solution & Results:
Replaces manual welding with a semi-automated system that resulted in radical improvements, some of which being:
- Remarkable improvement in weld quality. The impact test result under -196 degrees is 150J, which is more than twice the average weld standard;
- Enhanced welding efficiency: take the long vertical weld (30mm in thickness 3.5m in length), as an example, manual welding and grinding a weld joint will take 24-30 hours. With a system comprising two automatic welding units, it takes only 3-4 hours to complete a weld joint. This is only 1/8th of the time used with manual stick welding;
- The ease of semi-automated welding equipment greatly reduces the labor intensity of welders, which contributes to welder wellbeing and gaps the shortage of onsite welders;
- The welding quality is under control and the performance of the welded seam is highly consistent;
- Narrow groove DPS saves weld material and bypasses carbon gouging. The weld does not need to be grinded, lessens fog, dust, and spatter, and creates a healthier working environment within the inner tank.